“This week’s highlights from community radio in the Philadelphia region” can now be heard on Indy Radio Garden, a weekly half hour showcase of the most compelling content from the Swarming Community Radio All over Philly (SCARP) Network of stations throughout the region each week. The relevance of being able to help create a communication network between various community radio stations in the region helps to stimulate joint production, transmit experiences, share narratives and create new materials that stimulate community radio production. The more interactions between the radios, the more producing, sharing, and learning together that happens between the diverse communities.
We’d like you to meet the nine stations enrolled to the cohort:
- West Philly WPEB 88.1 Scribe Video
- Wilmington WHGE-LP 95.3 Afro-American Historical Society of Delaware
- G-Town WRLG-LP 92.9 Germantown Life Enrichment Center
- G-Town WRGU-LP 92.9 Germantown United Community Development Corp
- G-Town WGGT-LP 92.9 G-Town Radio
- North Philly WJYN-LP 98.5 Uptown Entertainment and Development Corporation
- Center City WPPM-LP 106.5 Phillycam
- Bridgeton, NJ WCNU-LP 102.5 Farmworkers (Tri-County Community Action Agency, Inc.)
- South Philly on the web Philatinos Radio
The content on Indy Radio Garden includes direct stories from our neighbors and experts focusing on their lived experiences around issues of police brutality, housing, homelessness, the economy, environmental, food insecurity, and other issues that are impacting people the most. You’ll hear interviews, field recordings, and other public affairs-related transmissions. Some of the content include:
- How the issues are affecting the neighborhood
- Local efforts to help address the covid crisis
- Community services that people may not know of
- Sharing of useful resource information
- Providing vital public health information to prevent rumors and scams
- Organizations that are working on important issues
As an opportunity for community members to utilize the power of radio, we are also offering personalized training for programmers to record from home, improve their audio quality, improve their radio production skills, and tutor to improve the sound and content of their show as a means to bolster access to resources. The Covid Report has also been developed as a series of simple local updates of information on the pandemic. It is made daily with various voices, produced in English and Spanish, and it is being played on many radio stations.
- Covid Report (English) by high school student Lola Milder: http://126.96.36.199:8810/audio/podcasts/CovidPHL/2020-07-14-July14PressRelease.mp3
- Covid Report (Spanish) by PhillyCAM producer Emma Restrepo: http://188.8.131.52:8810/audio/podcasts/CovidPHL.es/2020-08-06-ReporteCOVID8062020.mp3 “
If you are interested in joining a station and becoming a volunteer, contact the station you live near from their website above and in the meantime, you can listen to any of the Indy Radio Garden shows here: http://radio4all.net/index.php/series/Indy+Radio+Garden
*FEATURED PHOTOGRAPH CAPTION: The completed first studio upgrade to the African American Historical Society of Wilmington, Delaware.